20% increase of total corporate funding for solar in 2019
Public market financing increased by 9% in 2019 coming in at $2.5 billion. There were eight securitization deals totaling $1.6 billion in 2019, which was the largest amount of financing through securitization deals in the solar sector.
Strong year for the sector
“Financial activity was up across-the-board in the solar sector in 2019 with venture funding, public market, and debt financing all increasing year-over-year. Solar equities also had a great year with six solar IPOs around the world. These notable metrics, along with robust debt financing activity, including securitization deals, rounded off a strong year for the sector,” said Raj Prabhu, CEO of Mercom Capital Group.
Missed that? Strong solar outlook for 2020
Mercom’s funding report delivers following insights and data:
- Solar VC/PE funding in 2019 was 1.6% higher, with $1.4 billion raised in 53 deals
- Solar public market financing in 2019 came to $2.5 billion in 18 deals
- Solar debt financing activity in 2019 totaled $7.8 billion in 46 deals
- There were 65 M&A transactions in 2019
- A total of 26 GW of large-scale solar projects changed hands in 2019
- There were 192 large-scale solar project acquisitions in 2019. (HCN)