“Solar in flux: exploring today’s emerging markets” – Hamburg Grid Conference 2018 draws to a successful close
The event brought together around 60 attendees at celebrity chef Tim Mälzer’s “Bullerei” studio, and lectures were held on market potential, optimising yields, international law and EPC best practice for the MENA region.
“Our aim is to encourage more intensive levels of communication within the industry”, said Michael Manfred Fischer, Managing Director of SMP, in charge of marketing and sales. “Unfortunately, there is often too little time left during major international trade fairs. That’s why we hope that the Grid Conference will become a regular event during which participants can exchange ideas in a relaxed atmosphere.”
In line with the conference motto, promising new alliances were forged to promote market development: Mohiy Eldin Abdelrahman, owner and General Manager of the international company Swiss Trading EST, and SMP Montage concluded a "know-how" agreement for Egypt. SMP will provide the necessary expertise for constructing and operating large solar parks and complex roof systems, whilst the construction machinery and other equipment for the on-site construction process will be provided by Swiss Trading.
The agreement with Swiss Trading EST marks the second EPC joint venture for SMP Montage in the MENA region. Early in the year, the North German engineering service provider became the first Western solar company to enter into a comparable agreement with a Saudi corporation.
Key notes from the SMP Grid Conference 2018:
· Solar energy markets: overview of the MENA region (Camélia Nejjar, M.Sc., SMP Montage)
· Mature European markets: Spain and the Netherlands (Camélia Nejjar, M.Sc., SMP Montage)
· 1,500 Volt systems – no chance without risks (Dr. Christian Metje, Dr. Metje Consulting GmbH)
· Emerging solar PV markets: challenges from a PV yield specialist’s perspective (Dipl. Ing. Mathias Egler, e4r engineers for renewables GmbH)
· Solar PV engineering in foreign countries (Dipl. Ing. Andy Stüwe, EEAS Electrical Engineering Andy Stüwe)
· Implementations of international energy projects – major legal challenges and international best legal practice (Tobias Röttger LL.M.Eur)
· Solar energy markets: fixed systems versus tracking systems (Jasper Frenzel, M.Sc., M.Eng., SMP Montage)
About SMP Montage:
SMP Solar Montage & Planungsgesellschaft, or SMP Montage for short, is a specialist engineering service provider for the global solar industry.
Since 2008, the German company with its head office in the city of Hamburg has been supplying the full range of construction services for large-scale PV projects of 100 kW and more – from site preparation and site set-up to excavation and civil engineering, from mechanical construction and frame assembly to electrical installation and cabling of solar modules to site management and construction logistics. The assembly process for maximum area utilisation in standalone PV parks, which has now been adopted as standard across the industry, was co-developed by SMP co-founder and technical director Marc-Bernd Schipper in 2007.
In April 2017, the Financial Times named SMP Montage as one of their “FT 1,000”, the fastest growing companies in Europe.
SMP has been a long-standing realisation and innovation partner for leading European EPC service providers such as Solarcentury, ibvogt, e.on, Belctric, and Conergy. In the spring of 2018, the total nominal output of projects completed by SMP exceeded 950 MWp.
Company website: www.smp-montage.de
Osterstrasse 44, 20259 Hamburg
Telephone +49 40 300 317 02